PE and Sport Premium
Purpose of the premium: The premium must be used to fund improvements to the provision of PE and sport, for the benefit of primary-aged pupils, in the academic year to give them the opportunity to develop a healthy lifestyle.
Basis of allocation: Allocations for the academic year will be calculated using the number of pupils in years 1 to 6 (or aged 5 to 10 years where pupils are not recorded by year group), as recorded on January census, as follows:
• schools with 17 or more pupils receive £16,000 plus £10 per pupil
• schools with 16 or fewer pupils receive £1,000 per pupil
The premium must be made available by the LA to the school irrespective of the existence of any deficit relating to the expenditure of the school’s budget share. The premium is not part of schools’ budget shares and is not part of the Individual Schools Budget. The premium must be spent by maintained schools on improving the provision of PE and sport for the benefit of pupils to give them the opportunity to develop a healthy lifestyle.
Department for Education Vision for the Primary PE and Sport Premium
ALL pupils leaving primary school physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy, active lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
The funding has been provided to ensure impact against the following OBJECTIVE:
To achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport in primary schools. It is important to emphasise that the focus of spending must lead to long lasting impact against the vision (above) that will live on well beyond the Primary PE and Sport Premium funding.
It is expected that schools will see an improvement against the following 5 key indicators:
- the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles
- the profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- increased participation in competitive sport
At Abbott we have invested our PE and Sport funding grant to ensure all of the above takes place. Please see the document below for evidence of the impact the funding has had on our pupils at Abbott.